It’s been a really long time between posts I know… All I can say is that my fascination for food has led me down a rabbit-hole and I’m now 1 year into a Nutrition PhD! So I’ve been in the lab more than the kitchen of late.
Thats said, it was my birthday this month and I love nothing more than strawberry tarts, pistachios and fleur d’oranger. Hope you enjoy! Xxx
Cooking time: 10 minutes plus prep time
1 punnet strawberries
2 tbsp. caster sugar
2 tbsp. corn flour
2 tbsp. double cream
2 tbsp. orange blossom essence
200g plain flour
60g caster sugar
2 egg yolks
½ tsp. sea salt
½-1 tbsp. ice cold water
- Get started with your biscuit pastry; sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the salt.
- Using the tips of your fingers, rub the butter through the flour until it forms crumbs.
- Mix through the egg yolks, caster sugar and the water little by little until a dough forms.
- Cover and refrigerate the dough until its chilled, for at least 20 minutes or so.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Flour a workspace and then roll the dough out until about a centimetre thick. Using a cookie cutter, cut out biscuits. Place them on a lined baking tray and sprinkle with a little extra sugar and then pop them into the oven to cook, this will take 8-10 minutes.
- For your pistachio cream; in a blender or mortar and pestle create a paste out of 80g of the pistachios and orange blossom essence and pop to one side.
- Add the egg yolks, corn flour and the sugar to a small heavy-based saucepan and whisk together.
- Pop over a medium heat and allow to thicken, stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
- Add the cream, milk and pistachios and continue to whisk.
- When the mix has thickened, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- To construct; while waiting for your ingredients to cool, prep your strawberries. Slice them into even slivers, quarter them or keep them whole depending on the presentation you prefer.
- Pop the pistachio cream onto the biscuits, then top with strawberries, the extra pistachios, and another biscuit if desired.